Oil additive is able to improve the engine’s performance, make small imperceptible repairs to its component parts, or to prevent possible problems. Chemically active microparticles with the oil’s help penetrate into the working mixture of the engine and create a thin layer of plaque, which prevents excessive friction of working surfaces and preserves the viscosity of the oil at high temperatures. In addition, the best oil additive for burning oil and to stop smoking, accomplish the function of sealants and can eliminate leaks on heavily worn out engines.
Today’s market presents directional additives (to stop smoke and to stop leak) and general (to resolve many problems, including those mentioned above). If the car owner has specific problems with engine smoking and leaking, he/she has to choose the correct oil.
- Additives to stop smoking. They can create a durable and resistant to mechanical impact coating that will protect the engine rubbing parts surfaces from the runout. Due to all these procedures, the additive is able to stop oil burning and prevent the thick black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. The oil loss also can be the reason for the smoke. This is due to the runout of the cylinder-piston group parts and carbon deposits on the combustion chamber walls appearing. Restoring oil additives increases its viscosity (while heating) and reduces the chance of the engine oil loss.
- Additives to stop leaking. Such substances carry out the task of sealant and fill microcracks, scratches, and other defects, which allow restoring the nominal dimensions of pieces in a rundown engine.
- Complex additives. Such a product doesn’t have the clearly defined range of action, but it positively influences on the engine’s condition, decreases the noise of the engine and reduces the quantity of exhaust gases (smoke). That’s why they are the most popular.
- The product has a sticky structure, so it decreases the friction and protects from smoke appearing.
- The engine additive helps get rid of knocking while running.
- It smells neutral.
- It is a type of heavy duty oil, so some modern vehicles can have a backlash (the engine may stop working so it’s better to check the instruction before additives using).
- It can cause sticky rings.
- The additive has a chemical composition and it can badly affect the rubber parts.
- The engine started to work quieter in the higher RPM range.
- It protects against rust, corrosion, and dry start due to prolonged downtime.
- Oil, combined with the XL Nanolube, won’t flow out of cylinders and gears.
- Blended components can conflict with each other. Alcohol neutralizes the oil and product will bring no harm, no use.
- At the beginning of usage it helps, but then the problem with the smoke may come back.
- It creates enough seals at the rings to abate the blow-off to a manageable level.
- The product looks like honey and smells fine.
- It can be used as in old cars, as in modern vehicles (but not in those with “dying” motor).
- Within 10 minutes of adding the oil into the engine, the warning assign appears on the dashboard.
- The liquid can appear too thick for the passages via which the engine oil flows.
- It can prevent a drop in engine oil viscosity even with the frequent cold start. This isn’t the best engine treatment feature but helps prolong the engine’s life.
- Due to the product elements, the unit protects engine components with high loads on it.
- It can seal up the leaky pan gaskets even in the old car.
- The result doesn’t appear instantly. It takes some time for the liquid to stop the leaking.
- The AT-205 dilutes the oil very much. After it’s using, a low oil pressure sign appears.
- Due to the oil density, it lasts a long time.
- It protects the engine details from corrosion (thanks to the special coating components in the composition).
- It reduces the noise of the engine.
- The Lucas Oil 10278 consists of petroleum items, which may be harmful to old vehicles and their engines.
- It’s highly concentrated, so for engine oil mixing it is necessary a small amount of liquid.
- The unit doesn’t have a smell at all.
- It can be a great solution for long trips.
- This additive is a short-term solution to the problem, so it’s better to use it periodically or to visit an auto service company.
- After being in a warm place, some lumps appeared in it.
- The constant use of such additive increases the film layer. In some time the engine may be beyond repair due to too the thick film.
- Even after a short run, I’ve noticed an engine noise decreasing.
- Thick consistency and productivity reduce oil consumption.
- The additive diminishes harmful emissions of exhaust gases.
- There is the possibility of short-term operation in conditions of oil starvation.
- After this additive usage, the engine starts to vibrate even more than it did before.
- It doesn’t contain aggressive chemical detergents.
- Product slowly and safely dissolves carbon deposits and removes them from the system while the engine is running.
- It reduces the noise of the hydraulic lifters and raises oil pressure.
- The result appears not immediately. After the Sea Foam pouring, the exhaust smokes for 5-10 minutes, and after this period everything returns to normal condition.
- It can’t remove varnish that remains after using some premium oils.
- It aligns the high-temperature viscosity of the oil and reduces noise during engine operation.
- The product can be added to the oil at any time.
- The rear main seal starts gushing after the REV-X Stiction use.
- The effect of the additive influence appears after about 400 miles, and the car owner has to wait for this.
- The liquid increases the compression, restores the mobility and piston rings sealing.
- It improves the stiction a lot and makes cold start better.
- The additive doesn’t work in hot weather. It can be used only at low temperatures.
- The product is crusted after being in the garage, and I don’t think it’s a normal liquid reaction.
- There is no puff of white smoke while starting the car. The liquid got rid of this problem.
- Gas mileage went up 0.5 MPG and this indicator is rather good.
- It is a suspension of ultra-fine ceramic particles, which can fill the micro-cracks, while many other additives contain molybdenum (less effective element).
- The product paints camshaft position sensors with a silver substance.
- Appears the “check engine light” on the dashboard.
- Leaks. Over time, seals in the engine can begin to break down. Additives are able to stop oil leakage and protect worn seals from further destruction.
- Overall wear. Oil improvers reduce the intensity of friction, which favorably affects the general condition of old engines.
- Slime Sludge. It is tar-like sediment that can form in the engine as a result of thickening or destruction of the oil (this also happens because the frequency of oil changing is low).
The Best Oil Additives to Stop Smoke
Lucas 10001: Removes Dry Starts and Smells Neutrally
The oil itself is a special blend of high-quality oils in combination with various additives extracted from petroleum. The product eliminates dry runs and prolongs the time of the lubrication usage. The Lucas 10001 lowers the temperature of the oil in petrol or diesel engine. I like that the unit timely increases oil pressure, however, it isn’t able to control the noise level during the engine’s work.
XL Nanolube: Noise Reducing and Deep Cleaning
Substance adheres to the metal surfaces rather quickly. Being mixed with the engine oil, the additives prevent oil from burning within the engine and keep vehicle details clean. The XL Nanolube prolongs the time during which the lubrication is maintained, as well as the service life of seals, bearings, and other components. After its usage, I’ve noticed a lack of smoke and the absence of harsh sounds while the engine is working. At the same time, the Nanolube has an unpleasant smell. I would not advise leaving the bottle in a warm place because, after that, there appeared some crystallized elements in the liquid.
Rislone 4416-6PK: Versatile Product that Decreases the Oil Changes Frequency
I can’t call Rislone the best oil additive to stop smoking, but this product seals the cylinders to prevent the oil from rising (which may lead to its burning). It also averts the pollutants in the combustion chamber from lowering that can become a reason for oil’s premature destruction. The unit allows increasing the interval between oil changes by at least 50%. The Rislone doesn’t influence on worn engines greatly, while more expensive liquids are able to cope with difficult tasks.
The Best Oil Additives to Stop Leak
AT-205 ATP: Stops Leaks and Work at High Temperatures
The matter retains its viscosity at high temperatures. Conventional oils often lose their lubricity and shear strength when reaching the limiting high temperature. Adding the AT-205 ATP to the oil protects the engine and bearings from the overheating. It stops leaking relatively fast and doesn’t contain harmful components (petroleum distillates), which can be found in other company’s products. The additive is fully compatible with synthetic and mineral oils. It has everything to become the best engine oil stop leak, but its high consumption and costliness are unprofitable.
Lucas Oil 10278: Reduce Friction and Is All-Season Product
It’s better to use the product with conventional oil because synthetic has improved penetrating qualities. Together with conventional liquid the Lucas Oil 10278 can protect the engine and stop leak. The car owner has to pay great attention to the fact that the additive can’t cope with rotted oil pan and broken gasket, but it can fix the drying gaskets. The Oil 10278 is helpful in low-temperature conditions because the matter covers engine, reducing the friction. The product doesn’t require special oil treatment conditions, but it’s better to place the bottle in room temperature. If you don’t use the additive for a long time, a thin film appears on it, and the substance itself starts to smell unpleasant.
Bar’s Leaks 1040 Grey: Solvent, which Tights the Seals
The product differs from most oil additive due to its composition and main task. Many modern products consist of glue and materials, which intended to fill cracks after contacting with air. The Bar’s Leaks 1040 Grey isn’t a glue-basic unit, and it doesn’t leave marks on the engine. It can be perceived as a solvent, which influences rubber and leads to its swelling. After this, the seal becomes tighter, however, if it’s broken, very old, or deformed, the additive won’t help. It surely isn’t the best oil stop leak, but notwithstanding the advantages and disadvantages, the Bar’s Leaks performs its direct mission without questions.
General Oil Additives
Lucas LUC10130: Nano-Modified Product that Reduces Oil Consumption
Stabilizer creates conditions under which the surfaces of the engine friction units are covered with a nano-modified protective layer, which has a low coefficient of attrition and high wear resistance. This layer partially restores the size and geometry of worn parts, optimizes gaps in friction pairs, and holds more oil on surfaces. For vehicles with a mileage of up to 30.000 miles, it’s better to make a double treatment, while with a mileage of more than 30.000 miles – three or four treatments, depending on runout. The product was originally designed for racing, that is why it withstands high temperatures and pressure in extreme situations.
Sea Foam: Synthetic Oil Stabilizer that Raises Oil Pressure
The Sea Foam is a petroleum-based product. It is safe for engine parts, oil seals, gaskets, catalytic converters, and sensors. The Foam facilitates engine start at low temperatures due to its specific consistency and frost resistance. The unit makes the engine work smooth and quiet; moreover, it’s popular around the world. The unit is compatible with all mineral, synthetic, semi-synthetic, one, and all-season oils. It works well with modern cars, but I can’t call it the best oil additive due to its futility for old cars.
REV-X Stiction Fix Oil Treatment: Reduce Friction and Cleans Adhesiveness
The liquid accelerates the engine running process. Especially such a peculiarity is useful after overhaul (due to the adaptive properties and mating friction parts optimization). It prevents leakage of oil and its ingress into the environment. Additive restores the elasticity of rubber and plastic gaskets, glands, reduces friction, and burning oil consumption. Due to its low density, fluid is able to smear even hard-to-reach areas/details. It may be harmful to old cars because sometimes the insides of the engine can be covered with a viscous layer that clogs the channels. After this, the unit has to be disassembled and washed thoroughly.
Archoil AR9100: Unit Prevents Engine’s Dilution and Oxidation
After product application, there is a dynamic load reduction on the main engine parts and an increase in its operating period. Additive positively affects the recovery of detergent, viscosity, and extreme pressure characteristics of the oil. In addition, the protective components prevent dilution, oxidation of engine oil under extreme loads, and a breakthrough into the crankcase of gases that forms in the combustion chamber. Due to this additive using, there is a decrease in exhaust emissions and fuel economy. At the same time, the Archoil AR9100 is able to pollute the filter.
Liqui Moly (20002): Relieves from White Smoke and Fill Micro-Cracks
A small amount of the Liqui Moly is enough to make the engine works cooler. Its temperature is only 5 degrees Fahrenheit, so the chiller system doesn’t kick in far too often and works faster. The engine also works quieter. I definitely like that the additive can be mixed with different available engine oils. It protects the engine details even under heavy loads and in high-temperature conditions because special components cover the units with the barely visible film. It’s clearly seen that oil is moving better with less peripheral resistance. The Liqui Moly has a rather unpleasant smell and extremely thick texture, so it’s hard to pour the liquid into the oil filler.
Oil Additives: What are They?
Special additives are particular matters, which constitute a part of base oil. Such admixtures allow it to function normally, as well as to improve the quality of the oil and its performance properties. With the current level of engine development, the use of pure oil without additives is almost unachievable. It’s hard to create oils that would provide effective protection for the engine and at the same time won’t be ruined with time. Additives can prolong the engine’s life and significantly increase the final effectiveness of the oil.
How Do Exactly Oil Additives Work?
Most of these additives work as catalysts that accelerate the crystallization process on the engine’s friction surfaces. A special protective layer appears under their influence. This coating takes the load during the power unit operation. When using different additives for the oil, the crystal lattice of metal components restores. If you disassemble the engine that worked with the additive, you will see that all the parts have a smooth mirror surface, so most of these products can propose great engine treatment.
How to Use Oil Additives?
All you need to do is to pour the content of the bottle into the oil filler. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes or drive a mile at an average speed. Don’t forget that it isn’t easy to choose the best oil additive, especially for older engines, so you should pay attention to the composition of each additive and follow the instructions from the manufacturer. Experiments may harm the engine and deprive the car of fully functioning.
Is it Safe to Use Oil Additives?
Yes, but only if you follow all the instructions. Correct selection of additives has a positive effect on the working areas, exposed to the greatest friction. The supporting capacity of bearing joints is restored by reducing the height of asperities. Antifriction layers significantly diminish the chafe force and increase the hardness values of the element’s rubbing surfaces. Some checks showed up that the right oil additives choice and strict adherence to the manual can decrease the rate of runout, mechanical damage, mitigate fuel consumption, and increase the engine’s life.
What Type of Oil Additive is Best for Old Engines?
In this case, it is necessary to use general additives to improve the overall condition of the engine but adhere to the maximum dosages. In addition to performing the main tasks, these oils can cope with:
In a case of wrong additive choosing, it can coag and shut off the oil channels. Connecting rod liners can fail as a result of wong product usage. Moreover, don’t forget to follow the oil change period. No oil additive can overcome careless maintenance methods.
What Oil Additive Can Stop Engine Knocking?
You should choose among general oil additives because when they ingest inside the powertrain, all useful elements mix and distribute throughout the system. The product can diminish the clearance between runout surfaces and minimize friction. Some of the consisting elements deposit on the parts with an increased clearance, reducing it. The rest circulate through the system, providing an increased resource of the powertrain. It is important to understand that additives are not intended to restore old or dirty oil, they can increase its quality. Also, with the help of them, it is impossible to reanimate the engine with an exhausted resource or fix serious malfunctions. Additives only help improve the work of your powertrain.
Is it Possible to Increase Oil Pressure with Additive?
The answer is partly affirmative. Some oil additives are viscosity improvers or detergents, and they can temporarily increase pressure. At the same time, the car owner has to understand that such problem signals about serious engine problems, which can be solved only with the help of the auto repair shop. The oil additives can be good in many situations, but in this case, it is able to delay the solution of the problem for a short time but not to solve it.